Monday, May 21, 2012

Over Hill, Over Dale, Over River

Since my last post three weeks ago, I have been busy. First there was the Road Ends 5 Mile trail race in the Pinckney Rec Area about 7 miles from my house on April 29. The following weekend was the Heart and Sole 10K right here in Chelsea; I was able to do a warm-up jog to the start from my house. May 12 was the Dances with Dirt Gnawbone 50 Mile Relay. Finally, I was away in Massachusetts for my 15th college reunion this past weekend, where I fit in two runs during the three days I was there. The Dexter-Ann Arbor Half Marathon is quickly approaching (June 3!) so the final long runs on my schedule are vital.

Road Ends 5 Mile Trail Run with the Engineer. If you're wondering why we were dressed for winter on April 29...it was 27 degrees when the race started. I eventually took off the gloves and the hat, but was glad for my Sugoi Firewall jacket.


My outfit for the Dances with Dirt 50 mile team relay. We were a team of hashers. This was at the start area before the race. I'm drinking coffee (it was early). Beer came later.
The Northampton Bikeway, where I did my 11-mile long run on Friday morning. Gorgeous.
The Norwottock Rail Trail bridge over the Connecticut River, where I did part of my 5-mile run Sunday morning with BFF Sara
Yesterday Cleveland hosted its marathon and half marathon. This was the first time since 2008 I haven't been on hand to participate (see aforementioned college reunion). In 2009 I qualified for Boston. In 2010 I paced my Dad to a sub-two-hour finish in the half. Last year...that was the year of the Great Calf-Shredding Debacle. A year has passed since that injury. While my leg is rock solid, I haven't returned to the level of fitness I brought to the starting line of the marathon in 2009. I may never get there again and I've come to terms with that. I'm getting older, and the amount of work required to reach peak conditioning doesn't appeal to me. I am embracing my status as a nearly-middle-aged, middle-of-the-pack recreational runner. The occasional surprise age group award might slide my way, but I have the distinct feeling that my days of setting personal bests are over.

However, my fitness level is such that I am able to get out and run eleven miles on a pretty trail on a beautiful day, enjoy nature, and love the feeling of propelling my body over the earth, which is what this has always been about, from the very beginning.

6 comments:

Holly said...

I appreciate your humbleness but don't ever sell yourself short! There are so many stories of "older" runners taking races by storm. You never know what the future may bring.

P.S. Cracking up at your first photo... seeing that after yesterday's heat wave in CLE.

Jen Feeny said...

You are far from middle aged my dear and I highly doubt that 2009 was the peak of your career! You've been kicking ass this year with your weight loss, fitness, and running... and we're only in the 5th month! There's still 7 more to go woman!!!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Yeah, Cleveland was brutal on Sunday! I hear you about the effort needed to reach peak, it's tough!

B. Kramer said...

You go to one reunion and all of a sudden you're talking about how old you are, WTF? I'm hoping I have the fortitude to try another sub-four marathon, but who knows. Having fun is more fun. Cheers!

Nitmos said...

I haven't given in to Father Time...yet. But he's circling the block and keeps his engine idling.

Anonymous said...

Of course it was coffee...