Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Get The Lead Out

I received an unexpected gift yesterday afternoon: a couple of free hours courtesy of my employer, who kindly saw fit to release everyone early in order to vote. I had my bag o' athletic equipment in my car because I went to the gym early Tuesday morning, so once I had finished voting, I changed inside the community center and headed out to the track for a good hard run.

The weather up here this week has been unbelievable, people. It's NOVEMBER, and it has been 70 degrees. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and the warm sun and gentle breeze felt like summer. I did a couple of warmup miles (8:30, 8:31) and then got down to business. I decided to bust out a few 800s, shake the dust off my legs that's been accumulating since the marathon and remind them that yes, they can go fast.

3:34, 3:32, 3:32, and 3:32. I don't know how I did it. Consistency is not my middle name.

But damn it felt good. There's nothing like a really hard run to make you feel alive! Or alive once you straighten up from gasping with your hands on your knees.

I wrapped up my 2-mile cooldown and went inside to my Weight Watchers meeting and I lost another 1.6 lbs. I'm back over the 60-pound hump. Next stop: 65 lbs. I reached that point way back in May and then got derailed. I've been fighting over the same 5-8 lbs since then and I'm determined to pass 65 and head for 70 which would put me at 148 lbs. I'm going to get there, by golly!

Speaking of other things that are making me happy today, for the first time ever, the Presidential candidate for whom I voted WON. It is a wonderful feeling.

13 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Great run (phew!) and great job with the weight loss. There is no stopping you now!

Anonymous said...

Great use of time and awesome work out!

L*I*S*A said...

Great splits! I wish I could do that!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

"I'm going to get there, by golly!"

Whoa, Sarah, what's with the potty-mouth?! You should label these dirty posts NSFW, because I'm at work and we frown on taking Goll's name in vain here!

Nice work on the 800s! You are indeed fast. And you'd be quite a catch but for two things:

1. Who'd be fast enought to catch you?

2. Hate to beat a dead horse, here, but ... that mouth. Pardon my French, but ... Gosh!

Harsh words, I know. But you needed a verbal trip to the woodshed.

Jess said...

Wow what awesome intervals! Nice job!

tfh said...

Great speed. And I guess it's true about hard runs-- why is it always that I feel most alive when I feel closest to death?

B. Kramer said...

Sounds like a great day. Nice work on the consistent splits.

Sun Runner said...

GQH-- I know you're being sarcastic but you really have no idea how bad I can be in the swearing department. I tone it down here (mostly) 'cause this (clearly)is a family-values saturated blog. And I'm all about the fucking family values, you know?

Just this morning there was some automotive confusion in the parking lot/driveway area at work which was preventing me from reaching my destination and I just said, "What the FUCK, people!" There was someone close by but I didn't give a shit if they heard me.

chia said...

YAAAAAY Splits and Obama!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

See? Now don't you feel much better after spewing that stream of obscenities? Don't it make the air smell cleaner? Don't it make sex feel sexier? Don't it make my jokes seem marginally less offensive?

That - your, ahem, "way with words" - is why I have tapped you with my Magickal Wand (no, not that one; this is just a regular PG-13 wand I'm talking about. Geez!) and turned you from Unleaded Marathoner into a BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY.

To find out more about how YOU MAY ALREADY BE TEH WINNER, follow this here link down the rabbit hole.

It's a ONE-WAY TRIP!!! BWA-HA-HAAAAA!!!

Sorry. Didn't mean to type that last part outloud.

KimsRunning said...

Sarah, I wouldn't follow GQ into that woodshed if I were you. He can do the Twisted Sage yoga pose. Scary stuff....lol

Awesome runs girl!!!

Nitmos said...

The weather has been great...but it is ending. The candidate you voted for WON!? Hmmm, now I know who you didn't vote for. Thanks but no thanks I guess.

Have the aches and sores healed from Detroit?