Monday, April 13, 2009

Martian Half Marathon Pictures

These are from the Martian Half Marathon, which I ran on April 5 and where I set a new PR of 1:47:02.

The start.

In the early miles.

Nearing the end.

The final push to the finish; you can see the timing mat in the foreground. You can also see the agony on my face. AAARRRGGGHHH!

The classic finishing pose. Don't forget to stop the Garmin!

Weekend wrap-up: Saturday I did a 10-mile pace run, which ended up being 2 seconds slower than the 10 I ran on Wednesday. So much for pacing. 10 miles, 1:23:39, 8:21/mile. It was such a beautiful day, I couldn't help myself.

Sunday was the second of my trio of 20-milers. For this one I chose to head into the Waterloo Recreation Area. Around mile 5.5 this out-and-back route becomes extremely hilly (blame the glaciers). Hilly yet scenic; its cruelty is disguised by its beauty. It was the same route I ran last fall for my first-ever 20-miler. This time, the hills just killed me. I felt drained, lifeless, exhausted. It took everything I had to stagger to the end. After hauling my aching body in and out of the shower, it was time for a nap. First, however, I ate (while lying in bed because I was too tired/lazy to go downstairs) the following confection:


That is a Vosges Flying Pig, which might just be the perfect treat: chocolate and bacon IN ONE SCRUMPTIOUS PACKAGE. I decided it contained everything I needed post-run: carbohydrates and protein at the same time! I know it sounds bizarre: chocolate and bacon? Seriously? Seriously! It was delicious. Pig consumed, I curled up for a well-earned three hours.

Five weeks until the Cleveland Marathon. Three weeks until taper time. One long run left. And miles upon miles yet to go.

9 comments:

Bri said...

Yes, but what was your half marathon time and pace? Did you post it? How did you feel afterwards? Was it what you expected? Sorry for so many questions, but interested in your progress and preparation for your Cleveland marathon.

joyRuN said...

Seriously? Bacon with chocolate?

I've never heard of such a concoction! I have the website you linked to up in another tab - I'm still debating if I should give in to curiosity & order some.

joyRuN said...

I was so stunned I forgot the most important thing:

NICE PICS!!!

Mechelle said...

I too am enamored with the bacon/chocolate mix and can't thank you enough for including it in your post. Also, congrats on the 1/2 marathon PR!

Spike said...

bacon and chocolate forged into the shape of a flying pig, wonderful and delicious I'm sure--how can bacon and chocolate not be perfect for each other.

just think, one more 20M run and then tapper!

Bri said...

I'm sorry. I'm a total doofus. I saw your post from April 6th, but I had a brain f*rt and didn't realize that was the race report, and pace, and everything I asked. Sheesh. Again congrats on a great performance. Now on to Cleveland...

Kristin said...

Yum, I'm intrigued....

Aaron Cunningham said...

Congrats on the PR!

I reently saw some chocolate covered bacon and said to my wife. "That must be the perfect food" She looked at me like I was insane. Nice to find someone who thinks so. :)

raulgonemobile said...

I was going to go with the whole "nice pics" comment and stuff, and then I saw that concoction.. holy cow, that looks great! I never knew such a delicacy existed