Monday, January 14, 2008

Healthy Start Festival of Miles

Saturday morning John and I participated in Running Fit's Healthy Start Festival of Miles, a free-for-all no-pressure event at the University of Michigan's indoor track facility. We arrived around 9:45 and started circling the track. The event was billed as an excuse to run in shorts in the winter. However, I was able to run in shorts outside last Tuesday...

I lost count of how many circuits I made of the 200-meter track and instead decided that because I ran for one hour at a moderate pace with only two brief breaks I probably covered close to 6 miles. John was by my side for most of it but he had to stop after about 3 miles as he was pooped.

I saw a bunch of people I know or at least recognize, including Tina, Victor from the RF store, and some people who were at the Wednesday evening group run last week.

John was hurting yesterday, a pain I know quite well: the aching quads. He's a cyclist and his muscles are used differently for biking. I encouraged him not to give up on running. The hardest part is going out for that second run when your legs feel like they're going to fall off. It was that feeling that made me almost quit cross-country the first week of practice when I was a freshman in high school. I'm glad I stuck with it instead.

No comments: