Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What Runners Think About While Running

I get asked a lot what I think about while I am on a long run. When I am out on the road alone for a hour or more, what do I do to keep myself occupied? Sometimes I take my iPod. Sometimes I just completely zone out. And sometimes I see something which I seize upon and which keeps my mind busy for a little while. Such was the case with my 11-miler on Sunday. In the yard of a home outside of town, I saw a very large statue of the Virgin Mary perched at the edge of a pond. Immediately my mind threw out "Our Lady of the Pond."I found this highly amusing. I repeated it to myself over and over while I was running. I thought about the ways in which Our Lady of the Pond could watch over the waters, protecting the ducks and fish alike. Our Lady of the Pond.

This ends the totally scary glimpse into the head of a distance runner.

4 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Yeah, there's never any telling what's going to go through one's head on a long run. Music, work gripes, thoughts about ducks, or maybe nothing at all! Of course, if the run becomes painful enough, it becomes a jumble of R-rated cursing, but no need to go there. :-)

B. Kramer said...

Drunkenness and exhaustion tend to lead to about the same level of absurd thoughts. I've done many studies on the subject.

Nitmos said...

I wish I could remember half of the crazy sh*t I think of on a run. Sometimes, I zone out and 3 miles went by...what happened?

Sun Runner said...

One of my other problems is I often get a snippet of some annoying song playing on an endless loop in my head. It's never the stuff I actually like...it's all the stuff I can't stand.