Thursday, June 12, 2008

Actual Conversation I Had With Myself This Morning While Running

Well, how far are we going to go today?

I thought we decided on the four mile loop.

Yeah, but I could also do the five mile loop.

What time is it? You don't want to get back to the house too late because you still have to get both of your meals ready for today. Remember, you're going straight to the opera after work and you need to eat dinner.

So? I can be a little late, since I'm staying later at work and all.

OK, forget that. What about that groin pain that's been bothering you?

It's manageable.

Consider this, then. You aren't running tomorrow because it's rest day plus you have to be at work at 7:00. It would be better to do the five mile loop today for the extra miles.

Plus I should do the five miles as penance for that beer I had at 10:00 last night.

There you go. Penance. Drinking beer at 10:00 pm, what were you thinking?

I wasn't, I guess...

Decision time. The end of the cemetery drive is coming up. Which will it be? Straight for four miles, turn right for five. It's coming up. No time to dawdle.

OK, shut up already. Status check. Legs: good. Breathing: good. Overall feeling of badassery for running at least four miles at dawn: very good. Potential for even more badassery for running five miles before work: even better. Let's do it. Five miles it is.

Five miles it is. Turn right, please.

Final stats: 5.11 miles, 45:27, 8:53/mile.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Hi Sarah,
I just wanted to leave a brief comment to tell you that I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now and I'm really enjoying it.

It's inspiring to see someone set some big goals and attack them with patience and perseverance. Keep it up!

Best,
Daniel Koontz
Casual Kitchen

B. Kramer said...

A -- ah, singular -- beer at 10? What penance for sharing two pitchers after 10?

Does this count as listening to your body? Good job.

Sun Runner said...

Well, I didn't say anything about the five-beer, bar-closing night I had Tuesday night. I did my penance for that on Wednesday morning. :)

P.O.M. said...

Way to push yourself for the 5!!!!

Sun Runner said...

Way to push yourself for the 5!!!!

Miles or beers? ;)

Tina said...

Badassery. I'm totally stealing that word. Way to push yourself!:-)