Monday, September 15, 2008

High School Flashback!

In my life as a runner there was a Phase I. This was my high school cross-country career. I ran varsity cross-country for four years and was the captain of the team my senior year. We won our conference championship twice, a district championship once, and a lot of invitationals. 1988-1991 were good years to be on the cross-country team. Edited to add: Some of you might think I kept running once my high school glory days were finished. This is not so. Once I crossed the finish line in my last race the fall of my senior year, I am sad to say that was pretty much it for me and running for the next 15 years. Oh, sure, occasionally I would make a few half-hearted efforts to get back into it, and I usually went running every summer when we went on family vacations to Lake Winnepesaukee, New Hampshire (there are a lot worse places to run, trust me) but I was in no way a serious or even casual runner. I didn't have 1% of the dedication to the sport that I do now. Phase II of My Life As A Runner began in October 2006 when I ran that first awful half-mile on the treadmill at the gym.

And the rest, my friends, is history.

Recently I was doing some reorganizing and came across a bunch of pictures from my high school years.

You are all about to discover why I wear those headbands every single time I run. The years have not done much to soothe the savage hair. I have a white chick 'fro.

Exhibit A of why I love Bondi Bands. Also, pre-braces removal so circa 1988, my freshman year.

Exhibit B of headband necessity. Of course I also had a perm (it was 1988...everyone had a perm) which didn't help matters.

One of my first-ever races. I remember I almost barfed at the end.

Ohio High School Athletics Association District Meet, October 1988. This is probably my all-time favorite running picture of myself. I ran a 24:13 and set a new PR at this meet.

Look at me, the skinny minnie.

The team after winning our first OSHAA District Championship, October 1989 (sophomore year). West Geauga RULES!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm glad I am not the only one with unruly hair. My fro is outrageous if it's not kept up.

chia said...

I was the cheerleader. How pathetic is that :-).

I'm envious of those of you (like you) that had the conviction to commit to running at an early age. Now I realize the amount of commitment it takes to the sport to physically excel and it's a great statement about your persona to be able to say you're a life long hard core.

No wonder your speediness far exceeds that of my own ;-).

Alright rock star, run on!

Spike said...

Awesome picts, classic late 80s hair and some nice action shots. I try to avoid my high school picts, they remind me of when I had hair on my head. Are you getting excited about Det, it is only 33 days away?

tfh said...

Great pictures! You made me think back, fondly, to those great cross-country shortshorts we used to wear. I bet I couldn't even fit a leg into them now.

Sun Runner said...

Chia-- I tried out for cheerleading my freshman year and didn't make it. *sob*

Big-- It is 33 days away, I am excited, but also a little anxious. Additionally, I am beginning to have plenty of "I'm ready for this to be over now" thoughts.

Nitmos said...

Just imagine what your times could have been without all of that wind resistant (i.e. hair).

I remember the 80's. Fun times. Kinda.

KimsRunning said...

OMG...how CUUUUUTE are you??? Hard to put that filthy mouth with that angelic face....LMAOOOOOO

I didn't even know there WAS a track team when I was in high school. But I was a cheerleader. That was the extent of my high school atheticism. If that's not a word I'm sure Glayvan, Glivien....ummmm Glavin(?) will let me know!!