Thursday, January 28, 2010

In The Bleak Midwinter

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.

That's how I felt when I went running this afternoon. It was about 15 degrees and there was an evil wind coming from the west which sliced through my thermal pants like a hot knife through warm butter. My chin turned into a chunk of rubber and drippy snot froze in my nose. Nonetheless, I chugged my way (into the wind) through six repeats of the hill near my office. When I run these hill repeats, I cannot help but wonder what people who drive by me are thinking, especially the ones who see me turn around and head back the way I came at the top or bottom of the hill. What on earth would drive a person to push her body up and down the same quarter-mile stretch of pavement over and over? Especially when it's so bitterly cold?

The Boston Marathon, people. Boston is looming in less than 12 weeks. It's late January and mid-April is only 11 weeks away. In 11 weeks I will actually be in Massachusetts, visiting my alma mater on a personal Nostalgia Tour before getting down to business. The business of running one of the world's premier marathons. Me, the fat chick who still weighed almost 200 pounds three years ago and could barely run 3 miles at once.

I've come a long way, baby.

7 comments:

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I can't believe you were out there!! The wind here is actually shaking the house. I will be praying that it subsides by morning. I really do not like wind!

YOu did a great job!

Anonymous said...

I too often what people think when they see me running, especially on hill repeats. Way to tough it out and not let the weather get to you.

You have come a very far way in three years. You should be so very proud of yourself.

Carolina John said...

you've come a long way to be that crazy. fo sho.

Robert said...

Hill repeats on a brutally cold day can be very rewarding. That's a run that you can really feel good about. Is Boston really only 11 weeks away? Wow, this year's going fast...

Shelly Rayedeane said...

That's amazing.

Good for you.

Nitmos said...

Getting closer and closer. Keep the focus!

Elaine said...

You don't know me but...halfway around the world in England I've used the same blog title as you and in relation to a hill session. Michigan must be the same as Manchester come February!
I'm running London in April. Good luck with the training! Boston is an impressive task! ;)