Friday, October 29, 2010

My Bad...I Guess...

Having lived in the Midwest for most of my life I know how quickly it gets dark at this time of year once the sun slips past the horizon. A run which begins in daylight at 6:00 pm will end in near-darkness an hour later. Said expedited twilight is enhanced when clouds blanket the sky.

I need to be aware of this when I do things like dress in all black and attempt to cross a busy road (in a crosswalk and with the green light right-of-way) near the end of a five-mile run.

A lady in an SUV driving into the crosswalk to make a right turn on red will screech to a halt as I pass in front of her, then pull around the corner where I am now waiting to make the next crossing, and will yell at me out her passenger-side window.

I was terribly embarrassed and didn't say anything. I thought about snapping back, "Give me a break, it wasn't dark when I left an hour ago."

She drove away in a huff, and as I crossed the next street I thought, "Note to self: from now on, BRING SAFETY VEST." It won't even be a point of contention in another couple of weeks because we will be switching back to standard time on November 7 and it will be dark at 6:00 (sob). My safety vest and headlamp will become default equipment in my winter running gear set.

My run was otherwise uneventful but for the fact that it was the first time I've run with the Thursday Night Gang since early June. The long, hot, horrible summer is over and I have no reason not to head to the Running Fit store on Thursday evenings to hang with my peeps. We even hit Banfield's afterward for beers (Bell's Two Hearted Ale).

On tap for tomorrow: 14 miles (hopefully) and then the Run Thru Hell 10K on Sunday morning!

7 comments:

Funnyrunner said...

yikes. Be careful! :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Yeah, I hear you about being seen. We have the smart traffic lights that will probably be my demise....... It's going to get crowded on Sunday...........

Jen Feeny said...

Zoinks! I've been wearing my vest religiously. It's weird. Even in the dead of winter in FL I never really had to wear it because there was always so many street lights but not so much round here. Be safe chica! See you Sunday!!!!

B. Kramer said...

Good call. Definitely time to bust out the reflect-o-gear. That is, if I ever get out and run again. Cheers!

Nitmos said...

Most drivers don't see me even in daylight. I tell myself that it's because I've transcended visibility but I think it's because they aren't looking.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I run in the mornings and so it's always dark when I start out. Hence, I always have my reflective vest on. It's getting to the point now where I still need it even at the end of my run, because the sun isn't up.

The lack of traffic - and people - is a big part of the attraction of early morning running for me.

I'm doubling down on Beaker - I'm starting a campaign to have his Muppethood revoked! I'm a waaaay better muppet than he is!

chris mcpeake said...

Be careful out there