Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Signs of Life

There is hope, people.

Item one: when I left my house to run this morning around 6:15, the eastern sky was light.  The pale blue dawn swelled as I ran, and when I rolled up to my driveway 30 minutes later I had no trouble seeing. When I run after work, even if I finish at 6:30 it is still light. The days are getting longer. We are crawling out of the dark hole of winter.

Item two: after last week's one-two-three punches of snowfall, this week has been kind to both the runner and the daily commuter (I am both). Above-freezing temperatures and a bit of sun have eliminated most of the sidewalk snow and we have had no new snowfall. I probably just cursed us with that statement.

Last weekend I was in Ft Wayne with the Engineer and we completed two runs together: a 4.6-mile slog through snow on Saturday and an easier, if duller, 6.8-mile run on a snow-free, paved path on Sunday. I grumbled and fussed (that's a nice way of saying I was bitching) during the Saturday run until I quit boring a hole through the patch of ground 10 feet in front of me, started looking around, and realized that the scenery was lovely (we were next to the Maumee River on the Rivergreenway) and there was birdwatching to be conducted (seen/heard: chickadee, titmouse, cardinal, mallard, Canada goose, nuthatch, red-bellied woodpecker).

Sunday on the YMCA path we came across this little fellow:

Help me! I'm melting!
Sorry dude, you're not long for this world. Spring is coming!

Notable beers of the weekend: 3 Floyds Black Sun Stout (post-run Saturday) and New Holland Blue Sunday Sour (post-run Sunday).

7 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ha, I noticed the same thing. I'm almost certain it did the same thing last year but I don't have any proof....

B. Kramer said...

Shhhhh ... don't fuck this up. I'm hoping to explore more of the Rivergreenway this year. Cheers!

Nitmos said...

How was the Super 8? Still....soiled?

Spike said...

You are crawling out of what dark hold...sorry, Viper and Nitmos started it.

Anonymous said...

Did you seriously find the snowman?! SO CUTE! What is with all the weird comments on this post... LOL. I don't even know what they are talking about!

There is NO WAY I could have made it 4.6 miles. I need to garner some endurance first.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Between the titmouse, Canada goose [can't have a goose w/o a butthole!], nuthatch, and the red-bellied woodpecker [peckers with wood are the best kind!], you have nearly all you need to build your own fully-functional, hermaphroditic body with a near-full complement of naughty parts!

Too bad you didn't spot a labia wren, a vulvature or a clitorwill ...

Laura said...

Daylight savings this weekend - we are really closing in on spring!