Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hitting The High Notes

High note 1: Literally, a big fat high B-flat I dropped in the car on the way here as I was rocking out to "Come scoglio" (Mozart, Cosi fan Tutte). "Come scoglio" was the aria which started it all back in college. I remember those early, rather pathetic attempts I made to sing it...sigh. Oh, reckless, untrained youth!

High note 2: My pace run this morning, which was just perfect in every way. Perfect weather (30-ish degrees, no wind, no precipitation), perfect clothes (Jacket of Wonder and the tights component of the Stealth Bomber outfit), perfect tunes (Animal Collective's "Brotherspot" closed out the run) and most importantly, perfect pace: 8:25/mile for the 9 miles. Hells yeah. That's what I'm talking about. I felt so fucking good I did miles 8 and 9 in 8:18 and 8:13 respectively. Now, string together three of these and I'm on my way to Boston!

High note 3: In a few minutes I am heading off to watch the lovely Natalie Dessay rock a few high E-flats in Bellini's La sonnambula in high-def on the big screen. I just absolutely love going to these Met Opera broadcasts.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah this is just too FUCKING strange, my workout today was practically exactly like yours. Same average pace, same fast miles. HOLY CRAP! Pardon the swear words but I am a littel freaked out. In a good way.

Last week I ran a 10-miler and "The Marriage of Figaro" came up on my ipod -- an excellent running tune.

joyRuN said...

Dang, girl - Phenomenal run! I damn near died trying to keep 8:25 for 2 miles, much less NINE.

Dan said...

Hi Sarah. I addressed your "Pioneer Valley" question in this comment over at Glaven's place.

And nice pace for a 9 miler. Boston is in the bag!

Carolina John said...

Funny, I was singing the same aria this morning. but I couldn't hit the high B flat.

Good job on the run! nice pace.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I prefer to sing the K-sharp note that concludes the Aeolian cadences of Der Fliedermousenebedointunguntersuchungen , O, sure I'm no Karlflaus Bierkensteoken, but the hell who is including him?

Plus I can't believe pigtailsflying used the word "fuck" on your blog because I'm pretty sure that's guaranteed to alienate you what with your being a nun and all with your of oral chastity and fucking purity.

Nice job on the run, sister.

Spike said...

way to rock your pace run, enjoy the 19M in Ohio tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Yeee-haw! I'm glad you've had a run to put you back in high hopes of running your way to Boston.

Told ya you'd get your mojo back!

raulgonemobile said...

Wow! Great pace!

As far as hitting those notes, I'm out.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

HAHAHAHA!!! How many beers had I had when I wrote that first comment?

O, way'pin' Jay-sus!

chia said...

DAYUM.

That is all, you already know you achieved running goddess status in my book years ago.

Meanie.

P.O.M. said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving the kind words. Fantastic run and we'll get thru this bullshit!