Thursday, December 10, 2009

Three Thursday Thoughts

Normally I would title this "Thursday Thoughts" and roll with it, spewing out anything I felt like. However, today, I am going to limit myself to three big bullet points because that's what Redhead does. She's got my back (you know why) and a new man, yes she does, my friend and running buddy Spike, a longtime presence around here. Oh you crazy kids!
  • We got bitchslapped by Mother Nature here in the big mitten over the past couple of days. Tuesday night's storm went out with a whimper and a lot of mushy, melting snow Wednesday morning. Last night, however...different story entirely. I woke up this morning to 3 fresh inches of snow and 15 degrees. Despite the fearsome elements I packed a bag full of running clothes for my post-work perambulation with The Thursday Gang. I had every piece of my winter arsenal ready for deployment. I bundled up at the store and hit the sidewalk at 6:00 pm. By then it was about 12 degrees and the wind was blowing steadily. Nevertheless, our little band of crazies sallied forth with headlamps and reflective vests twinkling. My fingers and toes promptly went numb and I was terrified I was going to have a repeat performance of last February's frozen finger debacle. After about 3 miles they regained feeling, though my left ring finger still feels odd. While standing around jawing with everyone after our run, I remarked that I was warm everywhere except my rear end, which was still icy cold. I could feel its chill through two layers of pants. What's that they say...cold butt, warm heart? Ha ha ha.
  • After running (temperature according to car upon leaving: 10 degrees) I drove home and stopped at the market for a box of powdered sugar, which I need for the pecan snowball cookies that I am bringing to the Michigan Lady Food Bloggers holiday cookie exchange tomorrow. While at the market, I decided to spring for a bottle of big, bold Cabernet Sauvignon, something to warm me up from the inside out on this cold, cold night. I am happy to report that it is doing its job adequately. I decided I had enough of cold beer, I needed something warm! I got home, stripped off my cold, clammy running clothes and put on something warm and dry. I was about to grab my vintage 1996 Patagonia fleece which is normally my go-to item of warm clothing in my 60-degree (yes, I really do keep it that cold) house, but I said, "NO, not the polyester tonight, I'm going for fleece in its original form...WOOL. Straight from the source: a sheep." I got out my hand-knit Irish wool sweater, one of two enduring souvenirs from my geology field camp in Ireland in 1997 (three if you count my tattoo which replicated the pendant I bought in Galway). I am happy to report that my sweater, too, is doing a wonderful job of keeping me warm. Natural fleece...who knew?
  • I ran today not only because I haven't run in a week (no comments please) but because I have to toughen up for training for Boston all winter. I have to get used to it and be ready for the weeks of torture which await. This was only the tiniest taste of misery. Much worse is in store for me. I know it. That's why I'm dreading it. And you know what, people...it wasn't that bad tonight. Yes, it was cold, but that's why I wore three layers of clothing. I know perfectly well by now that the heat generated by my motion will warm me (eventually). And so it did. I was okay. I survived. It wasn't the end of the world. Boston awaits.
Now, because it's after 11:00 and my furnace thinks I'm already in bed (programmable thermostats! yay!) the temperature in here is below 60 and my fingers and the tip of my nose are icy cold. Time to retire to the warm nest underneath my down comforter!

7 comments:

Maggs said...

I do not miss runs like that. I did them. I hope I never have to again,.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

It was in the 30s here this morning and that's cold enough for me! I don't envy you, but you sure have my respect and awe for getting out there! I'd be on a first-name basis with a treadmill.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I am impressed. Even I didn't get outside to run since Tuesday. Too windy 60+ and neg wind chills and my family so NO! But I applaude you for doing it.

Jen Feeny said...

I really feel unworthy of requesting the hardcore stamp when I read about ya'll's winter running! Seriously!!!

Can't wait to hear about the bake off with the runner/blogger society! :)

Thanks for the shout out girl and for being our biggest fan! :) <3

Can't wait to meet you in March!!!

YAY FOR BOSTON!!!

Robert said...

Yikes, 10 degrees is cold. It was 22 here today when I went out which felt good, but I'm glad it wasn't any colder than that. I don't blame you for sitting a couple runs out...

Spike said...

what?!? you've been running outside in that crap, preparing for Boston!!! wft!!!

Anonymous said...

Dudette, you are an age group ace! I gotta get me some of that mojo--AND start running in smaller DMA's! LOL.