Friday, July 27, 2007

Asian-style Noodle Soup

I made this for dinner last night. It's not a Weight Watchers recipe; it came from The Low-Carb Bible cookbook. It's very easy, cheap, and fast. Oh, and healthy. All the things I look for in my food these days.

Ingredients:
  • 1 3-ounce package of Ramen noodles (discard flavor packet)
  • 3/4 lb chicken breast tenders, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 cups (16 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth (I use Swanson's Natural Goodness Low-Sodium)
  • 1/2 cup fresh snow peas, cut in half
Cook the Ramen noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Combine the chicken tenders and chicken broth in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the carrot, green onion, garlic, and ginger and stir to combine. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the Ramen noodles and snow peas and simmer for 1 minute.

Makes 2 hearty to 4 small servings.

I decided while eating that the next time I make this I will add some more spices and maybe up the amount of ginger. I could barely taste it. Perhaps some cayenne pepper, or a little bit of cumin, coriander, or some mustard seeds. And top it off with some shredded basil.

No comments: